CLASSIC AIRCRAFT SALES LTD
In association with Classic Wings Magazine
YAKOVLEV YAK-3 ZK-YYY
This was one of two Yak-3s produced from Yak-11 airframes back at the Yakovlev factory during the 1990s, for a UK based consortium. This one was completed by Pioneer Aero Restorations at Ardmore, Auckland in April 2005 and enjoyed an active flying career which included many airshow performances before it was famously damaged in a high-profile accident at the Wanaka Airshow in 2018.
The Yak is now being offered for sale in its damaged condition for the next owner to rebuild to flying condition. The starboard wing suffered from the brunt of the force when the aircraft impacted a piece of airfield equipment on roll-out. That wing will need to be totally rebuilt or replaced. There are also areas of less critical damage elsewhere on the aircraft. The engine did suffer a significant propeller strike in the incident, so both engine and propeller will need attention.
We have had some experience with these aircraft and can advise on approaches to take towards getting this machine back together again.
- Wingspan: 9.20 m (30 ft 2¼ in)
- Length: 8.49 m (27 ft 10¼ in)
- Height: 2.42 m (7 ft 11¼ in)
- Wing area: 14.83 m² (159.63 sq ft)
- Max speed at 3,100 m (10,170 ft): 655 km/h (407 mph)
- Service ceiling: 10,700 m (35,105 ft)
- Time to 4,999 m (16,400 ft): 4 mins 30 seconds
- Range at 491 km/h (305 mph): 814 km (506 miles)
- Range at 301 km/h (193 mph): 901 km (560 miles)
- Max endurance: 2 hrs 55 mins
- Empty weight: 2,105 kg (4,641 lb)
- Loaded weight: 2,660 kg (5,864 lb)
Courtesy of Aeropedia